Vegan Mac 'n Cheese
This is a healthier version of a beloved winter comfort food - mac 'n cheese. With no oil, the fats you garner are from the nuts. The dish is oozing with creaminess, a light richness, and crispy baked top, and all the comforts of this childhood favorite.
1 cup whole cashews (soaked in water at least 4hrs)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Dash of cayenne
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 cup water
8oz favorite pasta (I used these chickpea pasta shells)
1 cup fresh spinach (roughly chopped)
Handful whole wheat bread crumbs
Salt + pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 375F. Bring a pot of water to boil for the pasta.
2. Rinse the soaked cashews and place them in a blender. Add the lemon juice, cayenne, paprika, water, and nutritional yeast to blender as well and purée everything together until smooth.
3. Cook the pasta according to directions on the box.
4. Combine the pasta and sauce; mix well together. Add the chopped spinach and salt/pepper if you would like (to your taste preference).
5. Place the pasta in a baking dish and top with bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes.